5/1/11

A Kick-Ass Time

(Digital Media)

I decided it was about time to brush up on some photoshop painting skills. It's been a while since I've really sat down and hit the tablet to get some practice in. Above is the result of about 2 hours of work, so it's still pretty rough, but this was just a practice run. And after re-watching Kick-Ass I was feeling inspired, though I did take a little liberty and remove the mouth-hole that's present in the movie but absent in the original comic. It was nice to sit down and do some more involved drawing on the computer after a hiatus. I have been working more traditionally recently (mainly just sketch work), but the inability to "edit - undo" in real-life influenced how I worked on this piece. I won't say I didn't use any undo's, but I kept it to a minimum, which was important because it's so easy to get caught up in little, unimportant details digitally (at least for me). For any of those interested, below is a work-in-progress of how this kick-ass piece came together.

(Sketch Progression)

I started out with a quick sketch, outlining the basic form of the figure and began to block in local color. I worked in local color filling in some basic shadow shapes and then added some complimentary color for the shadows, and followed up with the highlights. After the initial blocking in, there was back and forth working with the colors. I ended up deciding to eliminate the initial sketch lines from the final piece (which was hard because I have an affinity for line work), but because I usually work with a lot of line, I pushed myself to shape up the form without the outline. I duplicated the layers, merged them, and masked the excess marks and then added the background. Ta-Da!

***Disclaimer*** This is not my own image, this is just a sketch practice using a reference image (found HERE) from the Kick-Ass movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment