6/17/13

Superman VS General Zod


(Pen/Ink/Digital)

Well I had originally intended to post another project today, but in lieu of having just watched Man of Steel the other night I decided to whip up a Superman drawing.  I really enjoyed the movie, I've seen some articles complaining that it was just a big 'ole punching match, but to be honest, that's exactly what I want to see in a Superman movie. I'm not interested in Superman "outsmarting" his enemies, I want to see him punch things. *SPOILER* - Superman and General Zod fight.

So anywho below is my process in creating these images. They all begin as a blue pencil sketch which I ink over. The image is then scanned, I turn the scan into line art (ie: remove the white background) and proceed to color the image in photoshop. I begin by just blocking in the colors so I can use them as a basis for layer masks that I create for highlights/shadows. I use layer masks because it is a process of non-desructive editing - meaning if I "erase" something using the layer mask, I can go back and remove the mask exposing whatever I had "erased"- it's all still there. After coloring is complete I apply an appropriate texture layer to enhance the work.